Autore Topic: [Actual Play] Anima Prime  (Letto 1553 volte)

Alessandro Piroddi (Hasimir)

• Membro
  • Choosy Roleplayer
    • Mostra profilo
[Actual Play] Anima Prime
« il: 2009-04-15 23:16:11 »
Ho postato un AP sul forum ufficiale di Anima Prime ... siccome non mi va di ri-tradurlo in italiano, beccatevelo da qui in lingua inglese :P
LINK -> http://www.animaprimerpg.com/main/node/138

Mi pare ke senza registrarsi al forum, le risposte non siano visibili, riporto duneuq qui il post:

So we finally played.
We created the characters, decided to use the Ghostfield setting and ended up playing one big starting conflict (resolving the first Group Seed) and some Character Scenes.

We play using the following mods:
- Threat Die
- Trait Bonuses
- Experience Token (as suggested by me in the other thread)
- and by Player's strong request we agreed that Defeat=Death, but I managed to obtain that instead Defeat= "your destiny is decided by situation, circumstances and the winner's will" ... so I can actually do better stuff than killing PCs all day :P
(my players are too used to the Traditional way of doing rpgs, they argue that they can't feel ANY threat unless the PC's life is at stake ... I'm hoping to change that idea :P )

So let's see ... The Characters!

Name = Zachary
Concept = Hero
Passion = Compassion
Mark of Power = an aura of benevolence
Traits = "Don't piss me off!" / "Trust Me" / No Pain, No Gain
Skills = Divine Bliss (Luck) / Strength / Intimidation
AP = 10
SP = max 6
CP = 6
Wounds = 3
Defense = 3

Powers =
- SBW + Upgrade III (The Punisher Ultima Weapon: protection, quicken, soulcharge)
- Heroics
- Resilience II
- Refresh
- Rise of the Phoenix
- Improved Grip

Background = town of Astalia, where my Abbey was located
Links = my old Magister

Name = Leroy Jenkins
Concept = ex-military experimental test-subject
Passion = Anger
Mark of Power = left eye looks like a mechanical scope
Traits = aggressive / cruel / vengeful
Skills = strategy / guns / killing
AP = 10
SP = max 9
CP = 6
Wounds = 3
Defense = 5

Powers =
- Resilience III
- SBW + Upgrade III (DeathRay Ultima Weapon: protection, strike boost, soulcharge)
- Improved Grip
- Force Attack
- Strike Boost

Background = the other test-subjects are alive
Links = contacts with some other test-subjects

Name = Alan Harrison
Concept = Preacher
Passion = Anger
Mark of Power = aura of malevolence
Traits = evil / presumptuous / enthralling
Skills = tactical superiority / dark power / infernal destiny (luck)
AP = 10
SP = max 6
CP = 6
Wounds = 4
Defense = 4

Powers =
- Force Attack
- Body Resistance
- Dark Sight
- Resilience III
- Soul Resistance
- Toughness
these are the ones I remember, the actual list is on another sheet ... presently lost, I'm sure I'll find it by his house :P

Background = my numerous, faithful, active, intelligent and laborious followers, who keep working to build our hidden utopian society

Links = my followers / contacts with Beyonders / a dark creature is following me

Name = Vincent
Concept = Assassin
Passion = Bloodlust
Mark of Power = my skin is unnaturally pitch black
Traits = "sssssh..." / low voice / drinking blood
Skills = cunning / quick / lethal
AP = 10
SP = max 6
CP = 6
Wounds = 3
Defense = 4

Powers =
- SBW + Upgrade III (SoulBlade Ultima Weapon: soulcharge, protection, quicken)
- Improved Grip II
- Resilience II
- Drain Life
- Force Attack

Background = my Black Castle
Links = my Father

- - -

The Story Seeds were:

Setting Seed = the Dragon one from the book

Group Seed = we are a band of smugglers, escaping from a Kanissian military base, after being discovered while stealing some secret documents

Alan Seed = find the Monkey of Jade
Vincent Seed = the Count's Ring
Zachary Seed = find who destroyed the Abby of my monastic order
Leroy Seed = revenge against the Kanissian Military

- - -

The game opened with a huge conflict, where the PCs were trying to escape from the Kanissian village/military-base after triggering an allarm.

I set some base goals...

Escape (5) O O O O O
Tamper with Powergrid (3) = -2 on Escape difficulty
Repair Tampered Powergrid (3) = for the NPCs
Damage Powergrid (5) = as the Tamper one, but not repairable
Avoid Civilian Deaths (3) O O

The opposition was composed by:

1 Kanissian Soldiers
Swarm
Skill: Firearms 2
Wounds: 6 (they are a LOT!)
Defence 3
Refresh
Cowards

1 Kanissian Steam Dreadnaught
it entered play after one or two turns

1 Captain Robert Duval (kanissian test-subject that stayed true to the Kanissian militaty cause)
Individual
Brave 2
Dirty Tricks 3
Brawl 4
Wounds 3
Defense 3(4)
Body Resistance
Resilience II
Refresh
SBW + Upgrade III (Steam-Cyber Apparatus Ultima Weapon: quicken, protection, power strike, shininng, empowering)
Improved Grip
Objects: 1 Apocalypse, 1 Blessed Serum, 1 Soul Gem
Goal: if he is defeated the "Decide Robert's Destiny" goal becomes available to all players and GM.

- - -

Basically they played through the conflict, familiarizing with the rules.
It took most of the play-time, but it was a lot of fun and all went well.
The PCs started together but then everyone split to a different direction.
By the end they had almost annihilated the Soldiers and barely scratched the Dreadnaught ... then they found Robert waiting for them near the exit gates.
He wounded them with a MegaSmasher-like Apocalypse, but they were just 1 victory away from Escape so they pooled their efforts and escaped under his nose :P

After that the game basically stopped for a wile, discussing new power options and trying to clearly frame the following scenes.
The Threat Die turned out 1.

The next scene took place while the PCs were driving a stolen vehicle through the nearby woods.
They were headed for the place where they hid their aircraft, and while doing so they talked a little, and analyzed the stolen documents.
It turned out that they were the plans for an expedition Beyond, to the ruins of an ancient temple found on a big chunk of floating rock.

After that they embarked on the airship and flew to the city just outside the Ghostfield where they were to meet with Fanty & Mingo, the twins who commissioned the theft.
Having some time to spare each one of them did something on his own.

Leroy went to the illegal rebel-supporting clinic run by one of his escaped test-subjects friends.
They spoke a little, he got stitched up a little.
Scene closed.

Zachary went to a bar, where noticed someone wearing a vest with the marks of his destroyed order.
After a rough and quick interrogation, the clueless man pointed the angry hero toward a shady merchant that held shop near the riverbanks.
Scene closed.

Vincent at first followed Zachary, but the bar was waaay under his tastes, so he went to the richer part of town and booked into a very fancy tavern, where he sipped expensive wine in front of a fireplace ... he flirted with a fascinating woman and actually managed to bed her before heading back to rally with the others.
Scene closed.

Alan got hit with the "Threat" from the Threat Die.
He went to the market to arrange for some supplies and materials to be sent to his cultists, but in doing so he felt followed.
He tryed to lure the follower and succeded, finding himself face to face with a specular version of himself (I used the "dark creature" from his links).
A brief conflict exploded between the two Alans ... it ended with the copy-Alan performing some sort of marking-ritual on true-Alan and then vanishing.
Scene closed.

Zachary met with the merchant, who told him that the stuff was bulk-buyed from another merchant who passed by the city every friday ... 4 days from today.
He bought off all the rest of the clothes and went back to meet the others.
Scene closed.

Everyone met with the twins, got payed (3 item-coins, we called them "Sil") and got re-engaged to actually run the competivive exploration of the ruins Beyond against the Kanissian militia.
Scene closed.
End of the Game.

- - -

I would say that it all went well.
Players had a great time and the session ended with them asking for more.

I was a bit uncertain about some Goal mechanics ... specifically how to handel a Goal that is meant to be "common" if the PCs end up divided.

On the Escape Goal we thought that it could have worked anyway.
I was more torn when a PC asked for a goal to lower the Dreadnaught Defence ... he was alone against it at the time ... and described his PC looking for weak-spots.
I ruled that this would earn HIM the bonus, but not anyone elses.
So he argued that he could just tell the others about the weaknesses he found.
I was thinking about it when he decided to just change the narration and cut some steam-tubes near the Dreadnaught legs, slowing it and makeing it an easyer target for everyone.

Another concern I had was about Character Scenes.
Some were REALLY brief ... like the one when Leroy went to his medic friend ... or the one when everyone met the Fanty & Mingo twins.
I went easy and awarded everyone the Scene Benefit ... but both me and the players felt it was somewhat "too easy".

One last thing I felt, but it's really not the game's fault, was that without a specific and clear-cut setting everyone felt somehow lost.
How does this looks like?
Does this thing exist?
Etc...
I think this is due to lack of experience with this kind of approach to the game, and because the beginning is the moment where everything is still to be decided.

By the end of the sessione, the somewhat steam-medieval Ghostfield ended up becoming a much more technologically adnvanced setting ... much like the one from Final Fantasy 7.

[EDIT]
I forgot.
Of the 4 available Experience Tokens, I only awarded 1.
It happened when a player pulled a really amazing scene during the initial conflict ... singlehandedly keeping the wall of a building from falling to save a little child trapped on a balcony.

Anyway the Players seemed to like the idea of being extra-rewarded by the GM, but with the filter of the "common pool" to avoid any favoritism and ideas like "I deserved a prize, why didn't I get one?"

I ruled 5ET = 1Power ... but maybe a 3-to-1 ratio could work too.
www.unPlayableGames.TK ...where game ideas come to die

Tags: