Autore Topic: Domandina: Immersionismo [voleva dire: Simulazionismo]  (Letto 5479 volte)

Riccardo

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
Allora, mi è abbastanza chiara l'identificazione di un gioco che favorisce un gioco gamista (come Donjon o Storming the wizard tower) e di un gioco che favorisce un'agenda Narrativista (come Cani nella Vigna o The Pool), mentre mi risulta più difficile il concetto di immersionismo, probabilmente perchè mi è sempre entrato in testa come "realismo" ma ho la chiara sensazione di essere in errore
Qualche anima pia può aiutarmi a capire in cosa consista un gioco immersionista, magari facendomi un esempio di un GdR che ben favorisca questo tipo d'agenda?

[Edit]
Scusate il lapsus, volevo parlare di simulazionismo e m'è uscito immersionismo... il che denota anche quanto poco ho capito di questo concetto :D
« Ultima modifica: 2009-01-08 15:37:23 da Riccardo »

Niccolò

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
Domandina: Immersionismo [voleva dire: Simulazionismo]
« Risposta #1 il: 2009-01-08 15:31:29 »
non esiste l'agenda immersionista.

l'immersione (in cosa poi? nel personaggio? nel setting? nella storia? nell'atmosfera? chiedilo a 10 persone diverse per avere 10 risposte diverse) è trasversale alla CA. per certi versi puoi considerarlo uno scopo universale del gdr, ma sufficiente in dosi diverse per persone diverse.
« Ultima modifica: 1970-01-01 01:00:00 da Domon »

Niccolò

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #2 il: 2009-01-08 15:33:07 »
non esiste l'agenda immersionista.

l'immersione (in cosa poi? nel personaggio? nel setting? nella storia? nell'atmosfera? chiedilo a 10 persone diverse per avere 10 risposte diverse) è trasversale alla CA. per certi versi puoi considerarlo uno scopo universale del gdr, ma sufficiente in dosi diverse per persone diverse.

voglio dire, si può raggiungere un livello di immersione più alto della massima immersione raggiungibile con un gdr narrativista, per esempio?

e dove sta l'incompatibilità tra giocare con una ca narrativista e giocare con una ca immersionista?

Riccardo

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #3 il: 2009-01-08 15:35:37 »
Oddio... lapsus idiota... simulazionista!!!
« Ultima modifica: 1970-01-01 01:00:00 da Riccardo »

Moreno Roncucci

• Big Model Watch
  • Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #4 il: 2009-01-08 15:53:04 »
OK, per non propagandare questo errore... lasciamo stare questo topic qui, e fanne un altro usando "simulazionismo"...   8)

"immersione" è un termine che può voler dire tutto e il contrario di tutto, quando qualcuno lo usa in una discussione, chiedetegli IMMEDIATAMENTE un esempio di actual play che mostri cosa intende, altrimenti rischiate di perdere un sacco di tempo scrivendo messaggi sull'argomento A mentre lui parlava di B.

In generale però si tratta di tecniche (diverse. Per questo bisogna avere esempi di actual play per capire di che si parla) usabili indifferentemente con qualunque creative agenda.

(alcune teorie nordiche sui Live dividono i giocatori in immersionisti, drammatisti e gamisti, ma attenzione che essendo divisioni dei gusti dei giocatori relativo all'atteggiamento in gioco non sono corrispondenti alle creative agenda, nemmeno quando hanno lo stesso nome. E oltretutto sono specifiche dei live dove non si crea una SIS comune)
« Ultima modifica: 1970-01-01 01:00:00 da Moreno Roncucci »
"Big Model Watch" del Forum (Leggi il  Regolamento) - Vendo un sacco di gdr, fumetti, libri, e altro. L'elenco lo trovi qui

Niccolò

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #5 il: 2009-01-08 15:55:02 »
ahhhh

il simulazionismo è in effetti una categoria ampia che contiene moltitudini.

il punto focale è che il simulazionista gioca principalmente per godersi l'epslorazione, invece di usare l'esplorazione come mezzo per ottenere altre soddisfazioni (una storia emozionante, una sfida emozionante)

cosa significa godersi l'esplorazione? qui entrano in ballo le moltitudini: come saprai l'esplorazione è divisa in 5 componenti: personaggi, setting, situazione, sistema, colore.

un gurpsista gode nel vedere come il sistema di gioco riceve e restituisce input. un giocatore di cthulhu gode nel ricreare storie alla cthulhu.

cosa cambia tra una partita simulazionista nel mondo di cthulhu e una partita narrativista?

Citazione
[cite] Simulationism: the Right to Dream:[/cite]
Shit! I'm playing Narrativist
In Simulationist play, morality cannot be imposed by the player or, except as the representative of the imagined world, by the GM. Theme is already part of the cosmos; it's not produced by metagame decisions. Morality, when it's involved, is "how it is" in the game-world, and even its shifts occur along defined, engine-driven parameters. The GM and players buy into this framework in order to play at all.

The point is that one can care about and enjoy complex issues, changing protagonists, and themes in both sorts of play, Narrativism and Simulationism. The difference lies in the point and contributions of literal instances of play; its operation and social feedback.

I'll provide two examples, a simple one and a complex one.

The simple one: Consider the behavioral parameters of a samurai player-character in Sorcerer and in GURPS. On paper the sheets look pretty similar: bushido all over the place, honorable, blah blah. But what does this mean in terms of player decisions and events during play? I suggest that in Sorcerer (Narrativist), the expectation is that the character will encounter functional limits of his or her behavioral profile, and eventually, will necessarily break one or more of the formal tenets as an expression of who he or she "is," or suffer for failing to do so. No one knows how, or which one, or in relation to which other characters; that's what play is for. I suggest that in GURPS (Simulationist), the expectation is that the behavioral profile sets the parameters within which the character reliably acts, especially in the crunch - in other words, it formalizes the role the character will play in the upcoming events. Breaking that role in a Sorcerer-esque fashion would, in this case, constitute something very like a breach of contract.

The complex one: Consider the behavioral parameters of a knight player-character in The Riddle of Steel and in Pendragon. This one's a little trickier for a couple of reasons, first because Pendragon has two sets of behavioral rules, and second because both games permit a character's behavioral profile to change.

1) The Pendragon knight includes a set of paired, dichotomous Traits (e.g. Worldly / Chaste) which are scored numerically, and which change scores inversely. They are used either (a) as behavior-establishers (roll vs. Cruel to see whether you behead the churl for his rudeness) or (b) as record-keepers for player-driven behavior (you beheaded him? Check Cruel, which increases its chance to raise its score later). The Riddle of Steel knight has no equivalent system to (a); all character behavior is driven by the player. Its Spiritual Attributes, however, do rise and fall with character behavior much as Pendragon's (b).

2) The Pendragon knight also may develop one or more Passions, which are expressed in the form of a fixed set of bonus dice for actions that support that Passion. These are established through play and may increase, although not decrease; different Passions may conflict within a single character. The Riddle of Steel's Spiritual Attributes (Drive, Destiny, Passion, Faith, Luck, and Conscience) act as bonus dice much as in Pendragon Passions but (a) may be individually eliminated and substituted with another Spiritual Attribute by the player with very little restriction, and (b) are intimately connected to the most significant character-improvement mechanic.

I suggest that both games include the concept that personal passion is a concrete effectiveness-increase mechanic, but that Pendragon does so in a "fixed-path-upwards" fashion (when the knight's passions are involved), whereas The Riddle of Steel does so under the sole helm of the player's thematic interests of the moment. Furthermore, the latter game directly rewards the player for doing so.

I may be a little biased about this issue, but it seems to me that a character in Narrativist play is by definition a thematic time-bomb, whereas, for a character in Simulationist play, the bomb is either absent (the GURPS samurai), present in a state of near-constant detonation (the Pendragon knight, using Passions), or its detonation is integrated into the in-game behavioral resolution system in a "tracked" fashion (the Pendragon knight, using the dichotomous traits). Therefore, when you-as-player get proactive about an emotional thematic issue, poof, you're out of Sim. Whereas enjoying the in-game system activity of a thematic issue is perfectly do-able in Sim, without that proactivity being necessary.

Before anyone flips out, stop for one more point, which is that my perceived time-scale of play for all the above points is quite high. I'm talking about whole sessions and sets of sessions, not moment-to-moment combat decisons or dialogue. So the "poof" is a pretty prolonged thing (and I better not develop this metaphor any further either).

Many people mistake low time-scale techniques like Director stance, shared narration, etc, for Narrativism, although they are not defining elements for any GNS mode. Misunderstanding this key issue has led to many people falsely identifying themselves as playing Simulationist with a strong Character emphasis, when they were instead playing quite straightforward Narrativist without funky techniques.

Riccardo

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #6 il: 2009-01-08 16:05:01 »
Ok
Se dovessi spiegarlo ad uno che mi fa una domanda, chiarendogli ovviamente che gli sto dando infomrazioni alquanto approssimative, potrebbe andare bene qualcosa come questo

Il divertimento e il piacere di giocare avviene nall'esplorazione del contesto, dal vedere come il sistema risponde agli stimoli forniti da lui tramite suo personaggio. Non importa che queste risposte siano "entro i parametri di una storia di un certo tipo" o che vengano poste delle sfide importanti da superare (questo per distinguere da Narrativismo e Gamismo), il godimento viene tratto dal fatto che il sistema risponde in maniera indipendente dal giocatore e dal suo volere

Niccolò

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #7 il: 2009-01-08 18:26:06 »
invece spessissimo importa che la risposta sia entro certi parametri "di genere", che venga fornita dal sistema oppure dalla regola zero

Renato Ramonda

• Membro
  • Renato Ramonda, faccia di Janus
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #8 il: 2009-01-08 19:00:36 »
E' da un po' che mi chiedo se "Simulazionismo" non sia solo un termine infelice, la cui inadeguatezza e' inasprita da una traduzione troppo letterale ed infelice.

Non sarebbe molto piu' adatto "Emulazionismo"?

C'e' chi gioca per emulare una certa narrativa di genere.
Chi per emulare le gesta dei personaggi di un'opera.
Chi per emulare il funzionamento meccanico di un mondo immaginario autocontenuto e coerente.
Eccetera.

La parte di "simulazione" e' minima in tutte le derivazioni, IMO, a parte FORSE nel "purist for system".
« Ultima modifica: 1970-01-01 01:00:00 da renatoram »

Riccardo

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #9 il: 2009-01-08 19:07:51 »
Citazione
[cite] Domon:[/cite]invece spessissimo importa che la risposta sia entro certi parametri "di genere", che venga fornita dal sistema oppure dalla regola zero

Chiaro, ma la regola zero in qualche modo non fa parte del sistema che ne fa uso ed è indipendente dal giocatore che fornisce l'input a tale sistema?
In pratica la risposta deve mantenere intatta la "simulazione" in atto, rispettando le leggi fisiche del mondo che si sta simulando o le conseguenze che avrebbe l'input nella narrativa che si è scelta e tale risposta non viene scelta dal giocatore, ma da un meccanismo o dal GM quando il meccanismo fallisce o è insufficiente

Citazione
[cite] renatoram:[/cite]E' da un po' che mi chiedo se "Simulazionismo" non sia solo un termine infelice, la cui inadeguatezza e' inasprita da una traduzione troppo letterale ed infelice.

Non sarebbe molto piu' adatto "Emulazionismo"?

C'e' chi gioca per emulare una certa narrativa di genere.
Chi per emulare le gesta dei personaggi di un'opera.
Chi per emulare il funzionamento meccanico di un mondo immaginario autocontenuto e coerente.
Eccetera.

La parte di "simulazione" e' minima in tutte le derivazioni, IMO, a parte FORSE nel "purist for system".

Mamma mia però... mi son tenuto tanti dubbi quando basta passare di qua e fare 3-4 domande... questo potrebbe portare all'ingiustizia  :wink:

Renato Ramonda

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #10 il: 2009-01-08 19:21:10 »
occhio Riccardo, come detto la fisica puo' essere del tutto irrilevante. Ad esempio se stai emulando (simulando, omaggiando, quel che e') il genere "Cartoni Animati Warner" la fisica conta ben poco.

Cosi' come conta poco se lo scopo e' omaggiare lo stile di un certo autore: molto piu' importante sarebbe avere regole che "impongano" quello stile alla partita.

Moreno Roncucci

• Big Model Watch
  • Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #11 il: 2009-01-08 20:49:34 »
Avrei preferito un altro thread, chi cerca "simulazionismo" questo thread non lo troverà mai...   :roll:

Comunque, in breve, il simulazionismo è la celebrazione di qualcosa di preesistente. Se sia il Gamismo che il Narrativismo vertono sull'apporto PERSONALE di ciascuno (in un caso nelle scelte tematiche, in altro nelle scelte tattiche), nel Simulazionismo invece il gioco sta nell'ADEGUARSI. Ad un idea di "genere", o di "simulazione", l'idea è che la costruzione di uno specifico tipo di esperienza sia la cosa fondamentale e che gli imput personali dei giocatori, come tante formichine, siano asserviti a questa costruzione.

Faccio un esempio pratico: hai visto Evangelion (l'esempio mi è venuto in mente perchè 'ho rivisto recentemente). Beh, l'ha scritto un narrativista. Esprimere il suo imput personale sul tema ha preso la precedenza sull'adeguarsi al "canone" dei cartoni di robottoni.

Poi, come sempre accade, una creazione personale crea un genere. E ci sono i simulazionisti che poi ti fanno altri 40 anime come Evengelion...  8)

In campo creativo, funziona sempre così. C'è il primo, che ci mette qualcosa di personale. Poi tanti altri copiano e creano "omaggi" all'opera originaria. Si potrebbe quindi dire che il primo ha un ottica narrativista e gli altri, gli "omaggiatori", simulazionista. Vista così, è veramente dura per i simulazionisti, visti come meri "scopiazzatori", ma non c'è da stupirsi: quando parliamo della creazione di film, di anime, etc, è chiaro che parliamo di un campo in cui la creatività è valutata moltissimo, e quindi è normale che sia un ottica più vicina a quella del narrativismo (magari, i produttori hanno un ottica più simulazionistica... "copiate!")

Ma il gdr non è solo creazione. C'è, nel fandom, un certo elemento di passione o vero e proprio amore per un opera PRE-ESISTENTE. Ed essendo gente che si trova per giocare, non è che si possano criticare tanto se vogliono semplicemente "giocare a Star Wars" o cose simili.

L'articolo sul Simulazionismo su The Forge è il più vecchio, e anche il più superato. (tanto per fare un esempio, all'epoca di quell'articolo si tendeva a considerare gran parte del gioco "tradizionale" simulazionista, mentre invece poi con la definizione di Zilchplay e un ottica diversa sull'incoerenza adesso il gdr tradizionale viene considerato in gran parte incoerente o zilchplay, e del rimanente la parte del leone la fa il gamismo. Il simulazionismo vero e proprio è molto, molto più raro di quanto sembrava quando fu scritto quell'articolo.

Alcune "correzioni" o spiegazioni migliori sul simulazionismo si trovano negli articoli successivi. Per esempio, dall'articolo sul narrativismo:

I receive a lot of emails like this one from Landon Darkwood:

I think I may have had a revelation.

... In your Simulationism essay, you have this: "'Story,' in this context, refers to the sequence of events that provide a payoff in terms of recognizing and enjoying the genre during play."

Is this the key to distinguishing the [Narrativist vs. Simulationist] play modes? My intepretation of this statement is that in Simulationist gaming, a long and complex story might come about and be part of play, but only for the express purpose of bringing about all the appropriate genre elements in the game as part of the internal consistency of the Dream. i.e., a Sim game Colored with elements from Chinese wuxia movies might have a multilayered story involving class conflict, people being trapped by their social position, repressed romance, heavy action, a sorcerer and his eunuch henchmen - but these are all trappings of the genre. So, their inclusion in the game, part and parcel as they are to the Dream, isn't Narrativist because no one is creating a theme that isn't already there. In other words, it's just played out as the Situation part of the Exploration; because the Dream calls for it, there just so happens to be a kind of intricacy involved.

In Narrativism, by contrast, the major source of themes are the ones that are brought to the table by the players / GM (if there is one) regardless of the genre or setting used. So, to sum up, themes in Nar play are created by the participants and that's the point; themes in Sim play are already present in the Dream, reinforced by the play, and kind of a by-product.

Am I on this now?

"In a word," I replied, "Yes."

Narrativism has a single definition, but it's difficult to articulate for people grappling with muddled RPG terminology. As far as I was concerned, not only had I presented what Landon said in "GNS and other matters of role-playing theory" (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/1/), I'd repeated it dozens of times in forum discussions. In fact, I'd said it in the message to Landon that immediately preceded this reply. But he had to say it himself, with his own use of words like "just" and "genre." I am now convinced, after many such exchanges, that an "experienced" role-player comes to this conclusion only by working it out in his or her own terms and examples.

Ho lasciato l'ultimo pezzo perchè sono giunto alla stessa conclusione: la differenza fra le creative agenda ciascuno la deve "scoprire" o verificare nel proprio gioco, è difficile da capire nelle parole di altri.

Sempre dallo stesso articolo, il concetto di Pastiche nel gdr:

The other way: pastiche

What happens when you want a story but don't want to play with Story Now? Then the story becomes a feature of Exploration with the process of play being devoted to how to make it happen as expected. The participation of more than one person in the process is usually a matter of providing improvisational additions to be filtered through the primary story-person's judgment, or of providing extensive Color to the story. Under these circumstances, the typical result is pastiche: a story which recapitulates an already-existing story's theme, with many explicit references to that story.

Is pastiche necessarily bad and evil? No. Is non-pastiche necessarily incredibly good? No.

Here's a little dialogue between me and one of the first-draft readers of this essay:

Jesse: Now we come to a point of personal confusion. Pastiche. I still don't get it, in any medium. If the Situation involves "...class conflict, people being trapped by their social position, repressed romance..." and the GM lets the players resolve it anyway they like, then how is that not Narrativist?

Me: It is Narrativist. What you're describing is not pastiche, or more clearly, it typically does not produce pastiche. The key is the "resolve it any way they like" part.

Jesse: Similarly if I'm writing a story and I make a check-list of items I feel like I "need" to include to tell the "kind of" story I want to tell, and I have a character experience and resolve those things, then how have I not written a new story?

Me: You have. What you're missing is that pastiche does not do this at all - instead, it references existing works in order to re-invoke what they, originally, provided for the reader/viewer, rather than doing it on its own. Die Hard is an outstanding movie. Passenger 57 stinks on ice. Why? Because Passenger 57 is only enjoyable if it reminds you, successfully, of Die Hard. Same goes for Broken Arrow, Con Air, and a slew of similar films. [Disclosure: I do enjoy many of these films, on the basis of the "reminder" alone. - RE]

And it's not a matter of "who does it first." Die Hard works because it nails its Premise, with the explosions and one-liners all being supportive of that goal. The other movies fail to provide Premise of their own, merely using the explosions and one-liners to remind you of Die Hard, and by (putative) extension, tapping into Die Hard's Premise through association alone.

Jesse: I guess I'm having trouble resolving a couple of things. Either I can't imagine the items listed above being included in the absence of Premise or I'm too stuck on the idea that there's nothing new under the sun. I mean how many romantic comedies are written off the premise, "true love can only be found by putting aside petty differences." Are you saying that 90% of romantic comedies are just pastiche? And if you are saying that, then aren't you putting kind of a tall order up if for something to be Narrativist it has to say something totally unique that no one has ever said before?

Huh, I just noticed that I did shift focus from repetition of elements that express a Premise to repetition of Premise itself, so maybe that has something to do with my confusion.

Me: Yes, it does. With any luck my text above has helped. It's not the "new-ness" of the Premise or theme, it's its presence and power in the particular story. Pastiche has no such presence or power, just reminders of them in other stories through common motifs. Many romantic comedies are indeed pastiche (some of them quite clever), but a certain number of them are not - and whether they say the same thing as, say, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes or The Devil and Miss Jones is irrelevant. The point is whether they as self-contained stories actually do say it, or anything at all.

Jesse: I'm just still a little confused between Narrativism and Simulationism where the Situation has a lot of ethical/moral problems embedded in it and the GM uses no Force techniques to produce a specific outcome. I don't understand how Premise-expressing elements can be included and players not be considered addressing a Premise when they can't resolve the Situation without doing so.

Me: There is no such Simulationism. You're confused between Narrativism and Narrativism, looking for a difference when there isn't any.

My final point for this issue is that creating pastiche is primarily a form of fandom, pure homage to an existing body of work. Most High Concept Simulationist play gravitates toward it, and some game texts are explicitly about nothing else.

Sempre dallo stesso articolo (sì, si capisce meglio il Simulazionismo leggendo l'articolo sul narrativismo. Come dico sempre, ciascuno specifica e costruisce sul precedente)

In all role-playing, the player-character is the lens of the Creative Agenda at work. That's right, I said all role-playing.

*      Simulationist = the character "fits" - its setting, capabilities, outcomes, behavior patterns, and so on, all reinforce the Dream for everyone.
    *      Gamist = the character is a direct opportunity for player-strategy. Its construction doesn't hamstring the player (except with agreed-upon handicaps) and permits him or her to Step On Up.
    *      Narrativist = the character's predicament is how Premise is seen/felt in full, and what he does, and what happens is how a theme is realized.

Se hai letto l'essay sul simulazionsmo, qui poi c'è un errata corrige piuttosto grossa:

The grim epiphany: Narrativism and Simulationism

This section supercedes the section "El Dorado and Drift" in my essay "Simulationism: the Right to Dream" (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/15/).

I'll begin by identifying a very common misconception: that if enjoyable Exploration is identifiable during play, then play must be Simulationist or at least partly so. This is profoundly mistaken: if you address Premise, it's Narrativist play. Period. If the Exploration involved, no matter how intensive, hones and focuses that addressing-Premise process, then that Exploration is still Narrativist, not Simulationist.

That's why Feng Shui and Hong Kong Action Theater are hard-core, no-ambiguity Simulationist-facilitating games including their explicit homage to specific cinematic stories, and that's why The Dying Earth facilitates Narrativist play, because its Situations are loaded with the requirement for satirical, judgmental input on the part of the players.

"El Dorado" was coined by Paul Czege to indicate the impossibility of a 1:1 Simulationist:Narrativist blend, although the term was appropriated by others for the blend itself, as a desirable goal. I think some people who claim to desire such a goal in play are simply looking for Narrativism with a very strong Explorative chassis, and that the goal is not elusive at all. Such "Vanilla Narrativism" is very easy and straightforward. The key to finding it is to stop reinforcing Simulationist approaches to play. Many role-players, identified by Jesse Burneko as "Simulationist-by-habit," exhaust themselves by seeking El Dorado, racing ever faster and farther, when all they have to do is stop running, turn around, and find Vanilla Narrativism right in their grasp.

However, what about subordinate hybrids? Simulationist play works as an underpinning to Narrativist play, insofar as bits or sub-scenes of play can shift into extensive set-up or reinforcers for upcoming Bang-oriented moments. It differs from the Explorative chassis for Narrativist play, even an extensive one, in that one really has to stop addressing Premise and focus on in-game causality per se. Such scenes or details can take on an interest of their own, as with the many pages describing military hardware in a Tom Clancy novel. It's a bit risky, as one can attract (e.g.) hardware-nuts who care very little for Premise as well as Premise-nuts who get bored by one too many hardware-pages, and end up pleasing neither enough to attract them further.

Historically, this approach has been poorly implemented in role-playing texts, which swing into Simulationist phrasing extremely easily, for the reasons I describe in "Simulationism: the Right to Dream". You cannot get emergent Narrativist play specifically through putting more and more effort into perfecting the Simulationism (which requires that the Narrativism cease), no matter how "genre-faithful" or "character-faithful" it may be. I consider most efforts in this direction to become reasonably successful High-Concept Simulationism with a strong slant toward Situation, mainly useful for enjoyable pastiche but not particularly for Narrativist play at all.

The key issue is System. Narrativist play is best understood as a powerful integration and feedback between character creation and the reward system, however they may work, in that the former is merely the first step of the latter in terms of addressing Premise. Whereas the usual effect in High-Concept Simulationist play is to "fix" player-characters appropriately into the Situation for purposes of affirming the story-as-conceived, especially in terms of varying effectiveness at specific task-categories, and reward systems in these games are usually diminished and delayed to the point of absence. Games which stumbled over this issue include Fading Suns and Legend of the Five Rings, both of which require extensive Drifting to achieve even halting Narrativist play despite considerable thematic content.

The more successful primarily-Narrativist, secondarily-Simulationist hybrid designs include Obsidian, to some extent, possibly Continuum if I'm reading it right, and The Riddle of Steel as the current shining light; I also call attention to Robots & Rapiers, currently in development.
« Ultima modifica: 1970-01-01 01:00:00 da Moreno Roncucci »
"Big Model Watch" del Forum (Leggi il  Regolamento) - Vendo un sacco di gdr, fumetti, libri, e altro. L'elenco lo trovi qui

Renato Ramonda

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #12 il: 2009-01-08 21:17:24 »
Citazione
Avrei preferito un altro thread, chi cerca "simulazionismo" questo thread non lo troverà mai...

Beh, uno dei moderatori lo puo' sempre rinominare con calma :)

Riccardo

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #13 il: 2009-01-09 09:04:31 »
Moreno, ti ringrazio
Mi rincuora il fatto che se tante cose sono state dette su questo tema, i miei dubbi non erano così assurdi nè originali

Mauro

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #14 il: 2009-04-20 01:01:16 »
Domanda: se il gruppo gioca col classico assunto di agire solo in base a ciò che sa il personaggio (quindi niente metagioco, niente "Piú avanti c'è un'imboscata, ma il tuo personaggio non lo sa", ecc.), di parlare in personaggio ecc., è (o può essere) simulazionismo? Mi verrebbe da dire che non lo è (può esserlo, ma solo su quella base non si può sapere), perché mi pare un'Actor Stance, che di per sé è un'Ephemera, che in quanto tale non identifica una specifica CA. Giusto? Facevo meglio ad andare a dormire prima di scrivere questo messaggio?

Mentre ci sono, per una prima e semplificata idea di CA le definizioni di Wikipedia sono giuste?

Simulationism

The Right to Dream focuses on the elements of exploration as things unto themselves. This creative agenda emphasizes appreciation for nuanced development of character, setting, and color to no other end than creating a holistically consistent experience. While one simulationist creative agenda may emphasize realism, another may attempt to emulate "four-color" superhero action. Whatever the target, the goal is to create an experience that neatly fits its parameters.

Gamism

By contrast, Step on Up considers the elements of exploration as an arena for proving the abilities of the players. This creative agenda emphasizes clever use of tactics, resource management, and character victory.

Narrativism

Lastly, Story Now attempts to use the elements of exploration to create an engaging story that addresses a "premise" to produce theme. Premise here is defined in accordance with Lajos Egri's The Art of Dramatic Writing and is usually framed as a statement (Friends are worth dying for) or a question (Are friends worth dying for?). In narrativist play, most or all of the decisions made by the players will reflect on the premise, proposing answers to the question.

Tags: