Autore Topic: [English] Let's help Ron post here!  (Letto 2436 volte)

Moreno Roncucci

• Big Model Watch
  • Membro
    • Mostra profilo
[English] Let's help Ron post here!
« il: 2011-05-27 22:49:19 »
Hi!!

Ron Edwards posted this today:
Hi everyone,

I am unsatisfied with parallel conversations between the Forge and GCG. It seems wrong to me that a few people can scurry from a complex conversation here over to there, engage and enlist me through a necessarily limited summary of the issue, and then take whatever I say back here as a kind of Pronouncement of Mass Destruction to use in that conversation. The implied notion that some few people are "close to Ron" and others are not is especially obnoxious, and I can tell from some threads here at GCG that resentment about it is already understandably rising. I know that people posting at the Forge have not necessarily intended for this effect to occur, but I think the negative side of the result is nearly unavoidable. That's one of the reasons I'd like to become active at GCG itself in the first place, because the community and audience there should be respected.

And this at the Forge:
My technical problem with the Gente Che Gioca forum is that I can use Google Translate to read anything on it as long as I'm not signed in. But if I'm signed in, the page turns back into Italian and trying to use Google Translate on it at that point means that it kicks me back to the Index page, not signed in. This means that I might read while not signed in, then work up replies, and then sign in and post them, but I'm sure there must be a better way.

The goal of this thread is to solve this technical problem to get Ron to post more on Gente che Gioca.

I did check myself what happen when I go to the forum using google translate.  And I noticed that, while the translated pages were shown as if I was not logged in (because google, as an user, is not), I wasn't kicked out of the forum.  I usually use more than one browser page to read the forum,I prefer to open links in another tab, it save a lot of time when you can look back at previous pages without having to go back and forth with the browser

So, Ron, I think you could read the forum using google translate, and when you want to reply, you can open another tab, log in and post without losing the translation in the other tabs

Another problem could be abysmal quality of the google translations, it would be probably better if we start posting bi-lingual posts in threads where you participate.
"Big Model Watch" del Forum (Leggi il  Regolamento) - Vendo un sacco di gdr, fumetti, libri, e altro. L'elenco lo trovi qui

Serenello

• Membro
  • aka Paolo Bosi
    • Mostra profilo
Re:[English] Let's help Ron post here!
« Risposta #1 il: 2011-05-27 23:06:28 »
I was thinking about this some hour ago. I'm fine with the basic concept of bilingual posts and threads  but i think also at people who doesn't have a perfect use of the foreign language. I myself have to take the dictionary a lot of time while writing. And have part of the forum closed of to some of the user seems like a bad idea.

So, stating that i like the idea, i have some questions:
- there's going to be a [RON] tag for some threads?
- what does this tag means? slowdown + bilingual?
- who choose what threads deserves that tag?
- who does not speak english can post in those threads?

On the last point i'll be glad to help anyone who needs help by translating their post, assuming that i'll have enough time to do that :)

Niccolò

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #2 il: 2011-05-27 23:21:16 »
i suggest a [guest] tag, maybe.

Mattia Bulgarelli

• Facilitatore Globale
  • Membro
  • Mattia Bulgarelli
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #3 il: 2011-05-27 23:47:30 »
i suggest a [guest] tag, maybe.

Yes, for a whole lot of reasons (I'll list them if you want) a [GUEST] or [BILINGUAL] tag or something like that should work better.
Co-creatore di Dilemma! - Ninja tra i pirati a INC 2010 - Padre del motto "Basta Chiedere™!"

« Risposta #4 il: 2011-05-28 03:35:16 »
"[English]" seems to be the best possible tag to me :)
il dado si lancia da solo, e da qualche parte nel mondo un orco muore - vincitore di un Ezio D'Oro per la Boiata della Settimana! ("This Is Something Only I Do!"™)

Ezio

• Membro
  • Ezio Melega
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #5 il: 2011-05-28 07:27:00 »
Faccio notare che il buon triex, sollecitato, ha implementato un traduttore automatico. Ora c'è un pratico menu a tendina che consente di usare direttamente translate su una pagina ^^

Ah, per inciso...

The goal of this thread is to solve this technical problem to get Ron to post more on Gente che Gioca.

Perché solo Ron? Non è il primo anglofono che compare, e spero proprio che non sarà l'ultimo ;-)
« Ultima modifica: 2011-05-28 07:29:07 da Aetius »
Just because I give you advice it doesn't mean I know more than you, it just means I've done more stupid shit.

Moreno Roncucci

• Big Model Watch
  • Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #6 il: 2011-05-28 11:04:41 »
Faccio notare che il buon triex, sollecitato, ha implementato un traduttore automatico. Ora c'è un pratico menu a tendina che consente di usare direttamente translate su una pagina ^^

E adesso che  Triex ha fatto il lavoro, hai smesso pure di tradurre in inglese? Ti fidi parecchio di google...   ::)

----English---------------

Our technician without peer, Triex the Emo-Bunny. solved the problem: now there is a translation menu on every page of the forum 

So, it's confirmed the forum subtitle (visible in the upper right corner of the page: "Gente che gioca: basta chiedere" ("Gente che Gioca: all you need to do is to ask")
"Big Model Watch" del Forum (Leggi il  Regolamento) - Vendo un sacco di gdr, fumetti, libri, e altro. L'elenco lo trovi qui

Ezio

• Membro
  • Ezio Melega
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #7 il: 2011-05-28 15:08:37 »
E adesso che  Triex ha fatto il lavoro, hai smesso pure di tradurre in inglese? Ti fidi parecchio di google...   ::)

No, but after 2.30 AM my english stop to work. :-P

Sorry.
Just because I give you advice it doesn't mean I know more than you, it just means I've done more stupid shit.

Tronk

• Membro
  • Michele Ronchini
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #8 il: 2011-05-28 16:16:10 »
Google translate può essere una soluzione sbrigativa, ma penso sia meglio che chi ha capacità+tempo+voglia continui a fare post bilingue per favorire la fruizione a tutti gli utenti, indipendentemente dalle capacità linguistiche.
Una tag guest o bilingue può decisamente aiutare a evitare confusione.
Chi volesse postare in un thread interamente in inglese o taggato come bilingue ma fosse in difetto di capacità o tempo potrebbe usare il google translate, oppure rivolgersi ad un altro utente che lo aiuti con la traduzione (se non fossi messo come sono adesso mi offrirei anche).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google translate could be the hasty solution, but I think it would be better for people with ability+time+willingness to continue with bilingual post. That would make the content easily available for everyone, regardless of language knowledge.
A guest or bilingual tag would be of great help to avoid confusion.
Those who want to post in an English thread, or one tagged as bilingual, but lack ability or time to do so coul use google translate themselves or ask someone else to to the translation (if I wasn't in the situation I'm in right now I wold have volonteered)

Tags: