Autore Topic: [english] "Conflict of interest"?  (Letto 1803 volte)

Patrick

• Membro
  • a.k.a. patmax17
    • Mostra profilo
    • Mio DeviantArt
[english] "Conflict of interest"?
« il: 2012-07-03 16:08:35 »
I opened this topic because today I read two post (here and here) by Ron where he used the term "conflict of interest". I write in english because I'd be glad if he himself answered my question (but really anibody could do it, if you want).
The question is very simple: I don't understand what exactly Ron means with "conflict of interest", I have two possible meanings (and thus different translations in italian) which are quite different.

Ron, which of the two do you mean with "conflict of interest"? is it
- a conflict that's interesting (i.e. "of interest"), for che characters or the players, (ital: "conflitto che è di interesse") or
- a conflict between the wishes (interests) of two characters (ital: "conflitto di interessi")?

I.e., is it a conflict of interest when the situation (and its resolution) is somehow interesting, or when two characters want different things?

Thanks
Patrick
Patrick Marchiodi, il Valoroso ~ Bravo Organizzatore di CONTM ~ Prima gioca, poi parla. ~ "La cosa più bella di INC11 è stata giocare con persone conosciute da due ore e avere l'impressione di giocare con amici di una vita" - Dario Delfino

Mattia Bulgarelli

• Facilitatore Globale
  • Membro
  • Mattia Bulgarelli
    • Mostra profilo
Re:[english] "Conflict of interest"?
« Risposta #1 il: 2012-07-03 16:45:37 »
- a conflict between the wishes (interests) of two characters (ital: "conflitto di interessi")?
My money is on the second meaning, here above. ^_-
Co-creatore di Dilemma! - Ninja tra i pirati a INC 2010 - Padre del motto "Basta Chiedere™!"

Alessandro Piroddi (Hasimir)

• Membro
  • Choosy Roleplayer
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #2 il: 2012-07-03 18:18:17 »
in both USA and UK when you say "conflict of interest" you always mean the option number 2.
www.unPlayableGames.TK ...where game ideas come to die

Ron Edwards

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #3 il: 2012-07-03 21:21:50 »
Meaning #2 is correct. “Interest” in this phrase always means “to a character’s advantage.” As I’m applying it to role-playing, I am strictly staying with the in-fiction character. Players’ desires or sense of advantage in the real world are completely irrelevant. I am especially not talking about what the player or anyone else wants to see happen to the character.

The concept is quite flexible for certain variables, however, and different games permit different ranges within the flexibility. For instance:

1. The character’s perceived advantage may be real or mistaken, which means there are three subset possibilities: he accurately perceives an advantage, he perceives an advantage but there is none, he does not perceive an advantage (and therefore is trying to do something else entirely), but one does exist. Some games permit the conflict to occur in all three cases, some in only the first two. An example of a game mechanic which plays this distinction for comedy is the Dumb Luck score in my game Elfs.

2. A character’s action relative to the advantage may be knowledgeable or ignorant. In some games, the character may only participate effectively in the conflict if he is aware of it, whereas others permit both. For an example of the latter case, a character might oppose being shot from ambush by stooping to pick up an interesting rock, despite being unaware of the impending attack. In some games which allow the latter, the distinction is absent in the mechanics; in others, it is represented by two different mechanics. An example of this last type of game is Extreme Vengeance, which includes two scores, one for Guts and one for Coincidence … either of which can harm the opponent.

The simplest version is obviously that an advantage exists (not being eaten by the ghoul), that the character is aware of this advantage (the ghoul is attacking him), and the character takes action to prevent it (he tries to smash the ghoul’s head with his hammer). However, this simplicity can be a trap because it seems so obvious that you solve the conflict through completing one or more tasks as necessary … but that “obvious” perception is grossly mistaken. Many games break down mechanically as soon as the situation becomes more complex than this utterly simple situation. When this happens, understanding that the conflict of interest is what needs to be resolved, no matter what the task or tasks being undertaken, is crucial. Otherwise you instantly enter the Murk.

Best, Ron

Patrick

• Membro
  • a.k.a. patmax17
    • Mostra profilo
    • Mio DeviantArt
« Risposta #4 il: 2012-07-03 21:44:31 »
Thank you for the explaination, Ron ^___^
Patrick Marchiodi, il Valoroso ~ Bravo Organizzatore di CONTM ~ Prima gioca, poi parla. ~ "La cosa più bella di INC11 è stata giocare con persone conosciute da due ore e avere l'impressione di giocare con amici di una vita" - Dario Delfino

Tags: