Autore Topic: For the foreign users of GcG  (Letto 3044 volte)

jackvice

• Visitatore
For the foreign users of GcG
« il: 2012-05-01 12:24:07 »
Hello there ^^
I'll try to be as good as possible with my english. Hope this FAQ post will help you understand everything ^^

What's Burning Opera?
It's an emotional game, and it's my 2012 Game Chef entry.

What's Burning Opera about?

From the game's introduction:

Citazione
You’re all members of a drama group in Venice. All of you are rehearsing a play you’re going to perform in the next days in “La Fenice” theater. All of a sudden a fire breaks out; due to the current renovation of the play house, alarm systems are out of service, so you’re not aware of what’s happening. The flames enclose the structure, and for you it’s too late: doors won’t budge anymore, and every fire exit is shut. You try to concretize: “someone will help us” you think. But as time passes, nothing happens but the flames devouring the structure more and more. The stage, the only perfectly intact area, is the place you choose to shelter yourself. Hope starts to fade away, so you decide to do a last, crazy thing: you act. You decide to play what you’d like to do right now, knowing you probably will die.

What if I want to read the game?

You can download it on Dropbox, at this link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72959723/Game%20Chef%202012/Burning%20Opera.pdf

What if I want to comment or give feedback to this game?

You can do it right here, just follow the rules of the topic (read further).
Or, if you're also a "The Forge" user, you can do it at this link: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forge/index.php?topic=33042.0

How can I directly contact you?

My email is: vice.jack@yahoo.it
I'm on g+, just look for Giacomo Vicenzi.
Buring Opera page on g+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/117766500140375999065/117766500140375999065/posts

RULES OF THE TOPIC

- Keep calm and don't flame, we're here to talk, not to harass. Peace & love, man  :P

- Explain your personal opinion. Don't just write "this is wrong. Fullstop." If you do it like this, then it'll be only sterile opinions, and I don't think there's one taste more important than another, if not justified in the right way.

- Do tell examples of actual play and/or game design you lived in first person. Talking about hypothetical situations without a verification thanks to real situations stays just a virtual chance that must still be experienced.

- If you use a technical term, be verbose describing it. You might be an expert of terms, but what if no one else understands you? It's pointless. If you want to use them, just explain their mean at once ("chimicherrichanga, wich means....").

- be brief, still not too much. Wall of texts are mostly unreadable and are a deterrent for other readers. Try to keep the worcount low, still don't be to succint and explain what you mean in full. "Virtue fits best in the middle" ^^
« Ultima modifica: 2012-05-01 12:59:06 da jackvice »

Mattia Bulgarelli

• Facilitatore Globale
  • Membro
  • Mattia Bulgarelli
    • Mostra profilo
Re:For the foreign users of GcG
« Risposta #1 il: 2012-05-01 12:39:58 »
Suggestion: why don't you include a short summary (or just a link) to the actual events that inspired this game?

English-language Wikipedia page is here, but it doesn't provide a lot of context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Fenice
Co-creatore di Dilemma! - Ninja tra i pirati a INC 2010 - Padre del motto "Basta Chiedere™!"

jackvice

• Visitatore
« Risposta #2 il: 2012-05-01 12:57:45 »
Suggestion: why don't you include a short summary (or just a link) to the actual events that inspired this game?

English-language Wikipedia page is here, but it doesn't provide a lot of context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Fenice

Well, the events that inspired this game's setting are the first and the second blaze of "La Fenice", one in 1836 and the second during 1996. You won't play during those events though, but in the present; still the idea of letting the Actors play in a theater that burnt for real appealed me a lot. And for the fact I'm italian, I tought "Why don't we set it in La Fenice?".
Still the overall inspiration came from a song, "Phantom Of the Opera" (by Nightwish) that was stuck in my mind for several hours some days before Game Chef entry time ended. That was actually the source of inspiration, combined with a bit of what I like about Jeepform.
Other Questions? ^^

jackvice

• Visitatore
« Risposta #3 il: 2012-05-05 12:48:10 »
I decided to start commenting the reviews I've recieved about Burning Opera.
First of all, I want to thank all the reviewer that took care of that work; there's a review missing, though :/

(I'll put red numbers (like this: (1)) in the quote, and then answer one by one those marked points)

Let's start with the first comment:

Citazione da: AnoTypMon
Burning Opera is in fact one and the same “role-playing poem” played in turn by each player, but in interesting way framed into story about actors in a burning theater.

For me, especially interesting in this game is its “casketed” (story within a story) construction. The section “Sliping into the fiction” about creating a story’s decorations and concept of Lantern are a little pearls of design.

Unfortunately, this interesting construction was a little undermined by unclear for me mixing, confusing, identifying? actors with real players. (1)

I understand that this is jepform, serious game, etc.

But I think it would be easier for a player, roleplay fe. a farewell to her daughter by character, than himself. And the emotions should be the same, or even stronger, due to lack of shy or self-control. Not to mention about the burning real players’ names, what may be abusive. (1)

Interesting is the idea of Protagonist’s injury, but I think it was worth to emphasize role of this later in the game. Generally, I would see that the growing danger is important in the game. (2)

And why, instead of a difficult (especially for Coyote) determine when the scene should end, any player could not just “call the Lantern”?. It will be also easy way to “collision-free” interrupt of scene too intensive for somebody. (3)

By the way, the “setting” begs the limitation of “physical” space (eg, drawed by chalk). Who descends from the stage – will die. Mayby the space could be to decrease after each “art”? (4)

The ingredients were used in an interesting way and with equal importance. I like the apt remark at Meta role coyote.

The game is written clear and legibly. Only a fragment of distributing roles looks a little complicated. Perhaps becouse the lack of resolve who has what to choose.

Despite these observations, for now Burning Opera is solid, complete game, ready by play by people who like this kind of games.

(1): the idea was actually to remove the difference between Player and Character. Maybe is not well explained, still it's a choice I'm not sure right now. I'm talking about it with several people, also here on GcG (like Iacopo or Khana), and i'll probably open a new topic about it.

(2): growing danger is not the point in this game. You all know you'll die in that burning theater, sooner or later. I wanted to give a sense of return to reality after playing the Play, that's all. I don't think I want to be focused on the "danger".

(3): this is really an interesting idea, and is also what I'm thinking about those days. The concept of breakout (the chance of escaping from a really emotive situation for the Players thanks to the rules, not ruining the whole game) can be easily applied like that. Still this could be abused, for the fact that if someone calls the Lantern too early in the game she will maybe ruin the whole Play itself. If I keep the "no barrier" between Player and Actor, this will be a good choice though, but must be a bit limited in the used. That's why i wanted all the Actor to be with one accord in fiction that the Play needed to reach an end.

(4): actually, the idea of "they're all kept on the stage" is just a fictional excuse to force them to play. The idea of the decreasing means the first Play will be played quite far away (in steps) from other players, maybe forcing them to speak loud; as for the last Play of the game, they'd probably find themselves without space to move around, forced to stay one close to the others. I'd love to give them all the space they want to move around, use real objects to use in the fiction, stand, sit... ^^

Tags: