Autore Topic: [Inglese] Gaming texts, creator vision and poor instructions  (Letto 5595 volte)

Patrick

• Membro
  • a.k.a. patmax17
    • Mostra profilo
    • Mio DeviantArt
Re:[Inglese] Gaming texts, creator vision and poor instructions
« Risposta #15 il: 2011-06-22 09:22:20 »
I could talk about A Taste for Murder, Solar System, Polaris and A Penny for My Thoughts...but it would be too much of an effort to write everything in english, thus, long story short:
I think A Taste for Murder is an excellent text (at least the italian version): it tells you the rules, the "setting" how to play it well and how you should not play it. I think it is a game that you can really give to anyone, and they can start playing right away. More or less the same holds true for Penny.
I had quite some difficulties understanding how to play Solar System well, because it tells you how the system works, but not how to use it the right (and the wrong) way.
And I really liked the examples in Polaris: the author made examples even on when to go to the bathroom! XD
Patrick Marchiodi, il Valoroso ~ Bravo Organizzatore di CONTM ~ Prima gioca, poi parla. ~ "La cosa più bella di INC11 è stata giocare con persone conosciute da due ore e avere l'impressione di giocare con amici di una vita" - Dario Delfino

Moreno Roncucci

• Big Model Watch
  • Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #16 il: 2011-06-22 18:24:51 »
Ron is in Sweden with his family until July 12, so it will be a while before he will be able to post his replies in the forum.
-------------------------------------------------
Ron è in Svezia con la famiglia da oggi fino al 12 luglio, e non avrà molto tempo per connettersi, quindi mi ha scritto che non potrà rispondere a breve.
"Big Model Watch" del Forum (Leggi il  Regolamento) - Vendo un sacco di gdr, fumetti, libri, e altro. L'elenco lo trovi qui

Mauro

• Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #17 il: 2011-06-22 21:05:33 »
I would like to get people's personal experience with gaming texts. Which were clear, which unclear, why, the problem people had, reactions, etc.
A couple of games really interesting with respect to this are In a Wicked Age and Poison'd; they are interesting because (so far) I know only two (IaWA) or three (Poison'd) people who understood them only by reading the rules, without further explanation and game session (beside, obviously, those bits who were missing or unclear in the rules, like that in Poison'd the maximum profile for a pirate is 4).

Anyway, a game that really bothered me was PTA: it was the first game I felt the need to play with someone who already played it, in order to understand it, because I wasn't really sure about how to play it (then I found I already understood it, in its general principles, but before playing it I wasn't sure at all). I don't know why, but the text was clear enough, but didn't give me confidence about my understanding.
But this could depend more on me than on PTA, since it was like the third - I think - non-D&D-like game I read (DitV and NCaS being the first two).

Jason's games (Grey Ranks, Fiasco) are mostly clear, also if in Grey Ranks sometimes I found some unclear bit (like: the extras can be non-Grey Ranks, but this in the rule is not so clear, in my opinion).

Tags: