Autore Topic: [link] Murk, Roll-playing e la storia dei gdr  (Letto 1894 volte)

Moreno Roncucci

• Big Model Watch
  • Membro
    • Mostra profilo
[link] Murk, Roll-playing e la storia dei gdr
« il: 2010-08-30 20:35:16 »
Ultimamente Ron Edwards sta postando un sacco di cose interessanti (sarà stata l'astinenza forzata dal posting mentre era in Svezia, fra una cosa è l'altra è riuscito a postare solo post brevi di moderazione per quasi un mese..)

Una era il commento sull'importanza del colore che ho postato ieri, ma oggi ha fatto di più: ha sviluppato maggiormente, in termini storici / culturali e di game design, il concetto di "Murk" (dal vocabolario: "an atmosphere in which visibility is reduced because of a cloud of some substance") che aveva già affrontato in precedenza varie volte.

Il bello di questo post è che è davvero di una chiarezza cristallina, sia nel definire cos'è questo "Murk" (la confusione al tavolo su come dove quando e perchè applicare le regole), che i suoi effetti, che nel presentare un ipotesi (che ritengo molto verosimile, in base alla mia esperienza) di come sia nato e sviluppato questo problema. E anche nel far vedere come tanti problemi di "tirare dadi o interpretazione del personaggio" siano solo conseguenze di questo Murk.

Stavolta non basta un breve quote, dovete leggervi tutto il post.  La parte precedente del thread può essere utile come esempio pratico dell'effetto del Murk in gioco, ma se volete potete pure saltarla.
Roll-Playing Versus Roleplaying
« Ultima modifica: 2010-08-30 20:36:13 da Moreno Roncucci »
"Big Model Watch" del Forum (Leggi il  Regolamento) - Vendo un sacco di gdr, fumetti, libri, e altro. L'elenco lo trovi qui

Moreno Roncucci

• Big Model Watch
  • Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #1 il: 2010-08-31 01:44:15 »
Per chi non ha il tempo (o voglia) di leggersi tutti i post nei vari thread collegati, ecco una piccola guida...

Il termine "Murk" viene usato da Ron per la prima volta in questo post alla fine di un lungo thread sulla differenza fra Bangs e Illusionismo, "Bangs&Illusionism - in which Ron beats down Confusion". Il thread è molto utile per capire appunto questa differenza (e diversi altri concetti: come thread riassuntivo è favoloso), ma se non vi interessa e non vi interessa nemmeno il sapere come si è sviluppato il concetto di Murk potete anche saltarlo per il momento. (ma prima o poi prendetevi il tempo di leggerlo)

Fra le altre cose, Ron in quel thread collega direttamente il concetto di Murk con il diffondersi del system-zero come "unico modo di giocare" in maniera plateale, come un vanto, invece di essere un trucco usato di nascosto:
"The whole diceless and in many cases pseudo-diceless issue that arose around 1990 is probably the first major sign that some people were getting tired of pretending to use dice/task mechanics when everything important was being managed by the unconstructed part. It's also about then that a number of authors just decided to admit that the "story" was being solo-controlled in their games, and to go ahead and foster that control rather than hide it. Both of these are the backbone of the cry that "system doesn't matter.""

E cita un fenomeno ormai familiare anche in Italia...
"There's a positive side to all this. I think that full solutions are out there, waiting to be discovered and to be used. Polaris is a good start. Sorcerer is a good start, although the big problem there is people trying to apply the old mechanisms to it during play, not realizing (how could they?) that compensations or control are not necessary. I suggest that Trollbabe, My Life with Master, and Universalis all offer solutions. It doesn't surprise me that these games in particular, along with Polaris and Primetime Adventures, tend to be dismissed as curiosities by people who are at least comfortable in the murk and with their subcultural status they associate with their partial solutions. I'm not surprised to see claims that removing the murk would, itself, destroy the role-playing experience."
(la sottolineatura l'ho aggiunta io, vista la situazione anche in Italia...)

Quel thread dà origine ad un thread successivo, in cui un altro utente chiede spiegazioni: Ongoing failure to understand. Qui Ron usa come esempio la regola di Cani nella Vigna che permette di abbandonare i conflitti.  E non solo mostra come il non capire (o usare) quella regola sia un esempio di "murk", ma ne dà una splendida interpretazione:

Anyway, what this shows me is that you do understand Giving in this game. So that means you aren't part of the trend which I've observed through a number of play-accounts. You can see it when someone in a group complains that working through all the dice is laborious, step after step, when they were ready to end the conflict long before; it's also apparent when someone complains that they "should" have won even though they rolled badly (in which case the person on the other side might have agreed with them if they'd brought it up). Clearly this is a group, not an individual thing, because it only takes one person to remind the others about the rule.

I used it as an example in the parent thread because it illustrates confusion within (causing) "the murk" as I described it there. How do conflicts relate to the rest of spoken material, during play? Who says when something's  a conflict? Within a chain of resolution mechanics, how does one get out of (finish) them? I'm suggesting that people learn the answers to these questions through modeling (what the others at the table do) and through trial and error, often arriving at a highly local and highly uneasy set of conclusions. These conclusions are almost always tacit to the extent of being hidden from self-reflection.

I'm also suggesting that when faced with games which are less "murky," people's entrained understanding of how role-playing works makes it difficult for them to see or understand rules which contradict what they're used to. In most role-playing combat, there's no exit mechanism from within the middle of it. Once you're in, you're in until you lose or perhaps until you carry out a highly specific tactic. Whereas here in Dogs, omigod, there's this whole "Give" thing. What's it for? If they aren't even in the mode of looking for what Giving can do, then they won't get it even when they read it, and it won't even come up as an option during play.

[...]
I think Giving is the most original and important mechanic in Dogs. It means either side can choose whether Fallout (in some cases further Fallout) is going to be a serious consideration in this conflict. It means that someone can introduce important information in the middle of a conflict which alters how the other person wants to play a particular character (PC or NPC). It means Raising, Seeing, and Taking the Blow have potentially-significant content of their own rather than being "talking-tax" one pays in order to use dice. Therefore it allows judgment of fictional characters to play a huge role in the decision-making of the game.

Consider: the Dog's decisions are deemed morally right. So there you are, playing the Dog ... are you, the real human being, prepared to take responsibility for the Dog's fictional actions? Because no one can be blamed for it but you. No one can blame the character or his culture or the setting or anything bogus like that - the Dog is right. But you wrote/created/moved the character. What about you? [This paragraph paraphrases a key section in the rules.]

Giving is the primary mechanic that allows a player, any player, including the GM to sit in judgment upon the Dog and thereby to express personal morality to an extent that almost no RPG has ever done before. This judgment is expressed as a radical change in someone's viewpoint or situation (most extremely, instant death), right in the middle of conflict, either the Dog or the person he or she is disputing with. What if I don't like my Dog any more? He or she is a son of a bitch, and I don't even want to go through any kind of repentance or redemption in my mind - the character went too far, and I am responsible. OK, in a later shooting-based conflict in which I am playing the Dog the same old way, bam! I Give. The Dog dies. And a damn good thing ("nothing in his life became him as well as the leaving of it," I'm probably butchering that quote).

Or a positive one works perfectly too. The Dog argues with the steward to quit being such a prideful dick and causing all these problems. They roll! The Dog's dice suck. The GM sits in judgment of the Dog - "he's right. He's just right. The only way the steward would continue is if he's a psychopath, and he's not." And Gives, hence providing his judgment of the Dog's commitment. (This example exactly parallels the use of the Sincerity die in My Life with Master; it is not a fudge or a gimme - it's a judgment.)

So a group which misses out on Giving is playing half-Dogs, kind of an anime-adventure paladin game with guns which often throws up hitchy/confusing moments during play, and in which the point (besides shooting people) is a little obscure.

Un altro esempio citato nel thread (da Seth Ban-Ezra) è Polaris:
"The Necessity of an Aesthetic Sense

As I mentioned earlier, I have been writing a lot about tactics, particular the tactics of playing the Mistake.  However, it is important to remember that Polaris is not about “winning”.  The goal really is to create a good story through the use of the strategy and tactics.  As a result, all the jockeying for position between Heart and Mistaken needs to be counterbalanced by a shared aesthetic sense of what makes for a good conflict outcome.  (I mention this idea here.)  There were several times over the course of our game that a Heart or Mistaken said, “But I don’t want to object to that. I like it!”  That is good.  It’s important for all players to be willing to say, “I like the outcome of this challenge, even though it means admitting that my opponent got the better of me.”  When a player says something and everyone else nods, being a Jerk needs to go out the window.  The scene is right; don’t mess it up.
"

(continua)
« Ultima modifica: 2010-08-31 02:53:51 da Moreno Roncucci »
"Big Model Watch" del Forum (Leggi il  Regolamento) - Vendo un sacco di gdr, fumetti, libri, e altro. L'elenco lo trovi qui

Moreno Roncucci

• Big Model Watch
  • Membro
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #2 il: 2010-08-31 02:53:18 »
Il concetto di Murk torna in diversi altri thread, ecco quelli che ritengo più significativi:

Qui se ne parla relativamente alla chiarezza dei testi dei manuali (il thread parte da una critica alla prima edizione di Shock!, che aveva molte pagine e spiegazioni in meno rispetto all'attuale):
[Half-Baked Spin-off] How Does the Book Carry a Message?
Nel thread Edwards cita Cani nella Vigna come un "breakthrough" nella chiarezza espositiva in un gdr. Concordo da tempo, alla faccia di quelli che dicono che è poco chiaro...  ;-)
I've think we've all become a lot better, in the last few years, at explaining "what to do" to fellow members of the gaming subculture. The breakthrough game for that was probably Dogs in the Vineyard, and certainly Burning Empires is remarkable for its explanations (and their order) even more so than its physical design. It's not just independent authors, either; both due to lurking at the Forge as well as to their own ruminations, a number of writers or line developers for non-independent games are really raising the bar for explaining to the intended audience.

In questo thread: Mother-May-I and 20 questions: Games GMs play si esamina un caso concreto raccontato da un giocatore, di una situazione in cui il murk porta ad una cautela assurda e ad un "mother-may-I" estremo. Cioè un caso molto frequente. La risposta di Edwards (dopo alcune risposte di altri che miravano più a "salvare l'onore di D&D") merita la lettura, cito solo un paio di brani:

You’ve articulated the problem so well, and demonstrated it with examples so well, that it’s been hard for me to post constructively. “I hate biting my own fingers off! It deprives me of useful fingers, it serves no purpose, and it hurts! [explicit examples] Man, this business of getting together and having to do this while we try to play piano together, it’s really getting me down! [explicit examples of specifically why it’s counter-productive] How do I stop?” I guess I’m hunting for something to say besides, “Um, stop doing it?”

[...]

The bad news first: the reason this situation persists is because one or more group members are used to exploiting it for minor advantages. One GM is simply not up to the task of managing general confusion, and general confusion can be maintained with only very minor additions at key moments. It provides a context in which a person can maneuver his or her character into maximally-advantageous positions, both in imagined time and in imagined space.

Don’t get me wrong; I am not saying that one or more players is maliciously sabotaging the fun of everyone else. I am saying that a person can functionally instigate this sort of confusion even when he or she is “just trying to do stuff” or “just trying to find out what I can do.” It may even be that that person’s experience says, if I don’t do this, I won’t be able/allowed to do anything. The usual tactic involves a certain amount of verbal interruption as well, but in long-standing groups who purport to care about the game content, then it can be employed without such obvious telltales.

The good news is that there are many, many solutions. There are so many because the solution is not a matter of Techniques, but rather a more general, better existing interface between social contract and SIS. If your group doesn’t want to work on that, either because a person is a culprit or because he or she is so immured in this mode that they cannot conceive of an alternative, then there literally is no solution. You can’t enjoy playing piano with people who are convinced that the activity must include biting off fingers.

Arriviamo al 2009, in un thread umoristico, Ron annuncia che la nuova versione di Trollbabe sarà ancora più murk-free:

It's finished! Its name is Trollbabe.

Layout is now complete and if I can manage to compose some back cover text today, it goes to the printer immediately.

Ohhhh, it's a beauty. And I explain how to role-play without murk -- with circles and arrows!

(non era proprio vero, traducendolo ho trovato ancora un po' di Murk in giro. Però adesso credo - o almeno spero - che l'abbiamo tolto tutto...  ;-)

Una lunga successiva discussione sul concetto di Murk è Warhammer; Chaos! Order! Molasses!, e poi si arriva al post che ho segnalato prima, che riassume molto bene la questione inquadrandola nella storia del gdr.

Tags: