Autore Topic: [Inglese][CnV] il supernatural dial  (Letto 3301 volte)

Moreno Roncucci

• Big Model Watch
  • Membro
    • Mostra profilo
[Inglese][CnV] il supernatural dial
« il: 2008-10-01 09:14:10 »
Ciao a tutti!

Nel blog di Vincent Baker si sta svolgendo in questi giorni (non è ancora terminata) una discussione molto interessante su come le piccole differenze creative all'interno di un gruppo di gioco posso essere costruttive o distruttive a seconda del sistema di gioco. I link sono:
That Reminds Me
Creative Tension

Per quanto molto interessante, la discussione è molto "teorica" e andrebbe probabilmente segnalata nella sezione "sotto il cofano" (quella per le menate teoriche che si fanno i designers e gli iperappassionati di teoria ma che non sono necessarie per giocare), ma non era il thread nella sua totalità che mi interessava segnalare, quanto un singolo post di Vincent Baker che è la spiegazione più bella che abbia mai letto di come si setta in gioco il Supernatural Dial, e il perchè non va MAI deciso prima a tavolino.

Ecco il testo copia-incollato:

--------------------------------------
So we're playing Dogs, it's the first session, and there's an enormous bonfire in town and it's a problem (I forget the details why). It's my raise. I say "I put my hands into the fire and I say 'peace, be still,' to extinguish it."

Like all right Dogs players, we haven't talked about the supernatural up-front at all. Never, ever talk about the supernatural up-front, except for the GM to say only "hey, supernatural things might happen, we'll see."

So. Peace, be still, to extinguish a bonfire.

a) Is it a legit move on my part? YES. I am clearly within my rights to say that my character does that.

b) Is it a legit raise, though? YES. The GM rolled demonic influence against me; ritual is how you make raises against the demons.

c) Is it tacky? UP TO YOU. Ron thinks it is, probably. I think it's cool. I think, most importantly, that it's true to the stories of my childhood and respectful of my family's faith and mythology.

d) Does it work, though? HERE'S THE FUN. This is why you don't set the supernatural dial up-front, but through play.

What dice did I push forward? High dice? Then I'm making a bid at nudging the supernatural dial upward. Low dice? Then I'm making a bid at nudging it downward.

How does the GM see? Both the dice he uses and what he says matter a whole lot. A block like "you can't bring yourself to put your hands in the fire" is a whole different thing from a block like "the fire leaps away from your hands but burns up more brightly elsewhere." So here's the GM participating in nudging the supernatural dial one way or the other.

And then, how often, over the first few sessions, do people get up to shenanigans like this, and what are their outcomes overall?

We played one game where, by luck and synergy, the raises we all made with magic were crap, but the sees we made with magic were good. In that game, the supernatural was there to protect you, not to let you advance your agenda. After three or four sessions of that pattern, it becomes what you expect and what you look for. The GM screws around with that expectation at his own peril.

I think this is the same thing. I think that, if I were to play Dogs with Ron, his considering my moves tacky would be a fruitful component of our play, a productive, or at least not destructive, tension between us.

-------------------------------------

Ancora una ragione per cui il sistema di gioco di Cani nella Vigna è un capolavoro, come se ce ne servissero altre...   :roll:
« Ultima modifica: 1970-01-01 01:00:00 da Moreno Roncucci »
"Big Model Watch" del Forum (Leggi il  Regolamento) - Vendo un sacco di gdr, fumetti, libri, e altro. L'elenco lo trovi qui

Tags: